The uMhlanga lighthouse was completed in 1954. Construction was completed in four days and 19 hours. The circular concrete tower, painted white with a red band at the top, stands 21 metres above the beach and has a focal plane height of 25 metres. The fixed red light enables ships waiting to anchor in the outer anchorage, to monitor their position. If the red light is undetectable, the ship’s anchors have probably dragged and are too close to shore. The lighthouse has never had an official ‘keeper’. The Oyster Box Hotel, which was built in 1869, has been the tower’s custodian. The construction of the lighthouse cost R23 838. There are 95 steps to the top of the uMhlanga Lighthouse.