The sculpture was initially known as “In Flight” (In Vlug) while it featured in the lobby of Jan Smuts Airport, between the years 1971 to 1998. It was removed when the airport was upgraded and when the name changed to O.R. Tambo. It was stored in a warehouse where it was vandalised. A large portion of the sculpture was also stolen. The remaining parts were, however, later returned to De Jager. When De Jager passed on his widow, Elsa, handed it over to former foreign minister Pik Botha who had it restored. According to an article in Rapport a friend of Pik Botha, Nic Anicic, provided financial support for the restoration. It was renamed “QUO VADIS?” and erected at the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria where it was unveiled on 13 February 2013. The new name was bestowed in memory of former Prime Minister (1948-1954) Dr. D.F. Malan’s closing words during the inaugural ceremony of the Voortrekker Monument on 16 December 1949.